iPad/iPhone/Android Mobile App Programmer - NYC
JK (http://www.jkdesign.com), is a full service advertising agency with a 28+ year history. Our corporate office is located in Hillsborough New Jersey, with a secondary office in NYC. NJBiz has ranked us as one of their Top 50 New Jersey Internet Technology Firms annually since 2003.
Our Interactive team has historically created small to large websites and custom content management systems, with open source tools. We have also created video productions that included videotaped and animated segments.
However, since 2010 we have been developing Mobile Applications for tablets and smartphones. Often these applications relate to a sales, marketing or training project. We primarily recommend the iPad due to the larger screen and developer friendly tools, however we also develop for the Android platform. We are seeking to hire a full-time mobile programmer and eventually a lead mobile programmer; We're also interested in hiring independent contractors.
You would be required to work on-site at either our New York City office in Chelsea (walking distance to Penn Station), or our Hillsborough NJ office. However, you must be willing to attend meetings at either location or at client locations throughout the tri-state area.
If you have published nice/interesting apps in the iTunes store or Android Market, you will be moved to the front of the line!
You would report to the Lead Mobile Programmer, with dotted lines to the VP Technology and VP Interactive.
You would be asked to
- Occasionally attend client business development and project meetings when necessary and assist with determining technical strategy for client tablet/smart phone projects, helping to explain (in plain English), technical options and pros and cons of each.
- Make technical recommendations for client tablet/smart phone projects based on industry knowledge and business requirements.
- Work with account managers, project managers and design staff to ensure a high level of usability and unique functionality by participating in creative meetings and by giving your input on site maps, system flows, wire frames and user/functional requirements.
- Read user requirement documents and recommend improvements to them, prior to being presented to a client.
- If necessary, write technical specifications as they pertain to the technical implementation of tablet/smart phone projects, based on functional specifications. This may on occasion be provided to an outsourced programmer.
- When requested, design and present database schema visually using a database modeling tool such as MySQL Workbench 5+.
- If an application requires a database, design and implement the database.
- Add new features and also modify and support existing code and databases.
- Work with PHP/MySQL developers when the iPad/iPhone/Android app will communicate or share/sync data with a Web server.
- If a Tablet/Smart Phone application will be outsourced to a development vendor, supervise the development aspects for that vendor. Conduct code walk-throughs to ensure vendor is utilizing good coding and commenting techniques.
- Follow coding standards defined by JK and Apple's coding guideline.
- Meet aggressive deadlines, even if requiring extended work hours.
- Must remain calm in all situations.
- Ideally have at least 1 year of experience developing iPad/iPhone applications with Objective C/Xcode and SQLite. We would also consider hiring a Java developer who has Android App experience, and allow you to be cross-trained on Xcode/Objective C for iPads/iPhones.
- Know how to use Photoshop for cutting-up designs: creating individual buttons/images based on larger graphic design model, and optimizing for Tablet use.
- Have a good visual sense and the ability to create tablet/smart phone applications, based on site maps, system flows, wire frames and matching designer models.
- Understand how to create standards-based (W3C validated) XHTML 1.#, HTML5, CSS2/CSS3.
- Understand how to create databases and basic use of SQL.
- PhoneGap (used for wider compatibility but less control over each phone UI)
- Appcelerator's Titanium Mobile (used for more control over each phone UI but fewer platforms)
- RhoMobile (Ruby/Rails)
- MonoTouch (ASP.net/C# based)
- Unity 3 (game development engine)
Helps if you have
- Have experience coding CSS, XHTML, PHP, MySQL, the PHP Smarty template system and SQL databases.
- An understanding of XML and Web Services.
In your cover letter, please include links to apps that you have published in the iTunes or Google Android store. Also indicate that you are applying for the "Mobile Programmer" position. Note: we will own all rights to final source code and work product. Programmer cannot resell system to another user or a third party.